Small Town News

Disaster and Accident

Smith home burns down Saturday

The Democrat Reporter of Linden, Alabama

- Advertisement -

Saturday afternoon, Jan. 15, Ronald and JoAnn Smith lost everything in a fire.

The family home was located on Boko Creed Road between Thomaston and Magnolia.

"I can't believe how fast it burnt up" stated JoAnn. She then went on to say "We left a little after 10:00 this morning and my daughter-in-law called me a little after 12:00. We rushed home and there was really nothing left."

The home was built in 1974 and the Smiths had moved in when their boys were five and eight years old. "We raised our kids in it." said JoAnn.

Thomaston Fire Department was dispatched to the call and Chief Heath McClure said, "The house was already gone. We knocked down a few of the walls because they were leaning really badly. It makes it harder to clean up, but I didn't want it falling and someone getting hurt."

Ronald Smith is a current member of Thomaston Fire Department. John Sheffield, a firefighter, stated "We did what we could".

Jo Ann was comforted by family and friends as Thomaston Fire Department put out a few of the last flames that had started out on the lawn.

"The house was gone in less than two hours. We had a lot of antiques that are not replaceable, said Ronald.

JoAnn looked around and stated "Nobody got hurt and things can be replaced". The Smiths have family in the area that they will be staying with.



Copyright 2011 The Democrat Reporter, Linden, Alabama. All Rights Reserved. This content, including derivations, may not be stored or distributed in any manner, disseminated, published, broadcast, rewritten or reproduced without express, written consent from SmallTownPapers, Inc.

Original Publication Date: January 20, 2011



More from The Democrat Reporter