Small Town News

Disaster and Accident

Weekend fire ravages Kyle home

The Free Press of Buda, Texas

- Advertisement -

No one was injured Saturday afternoon when a mobile home located in the Sunset Ridge subdivision caught fire, leaving a local family displaced.

Kyle Fire Department Chief Kyle Taylor said the department received the call of the burning structure at 5:21 p.m. Saturday. Taylor said the homeowners were not home at the time of the fire.

Taylor said the fire was brought under control at 6:59 p.m. He said the cause of the fire was electrical in nature, with damage estimated at $85,000.

Gina Murphy, who was visiting family who live in the Sunset Ridge subdivision, said she and other neighbors saw smoke coming from the home and immediately called 911.

"The smoke was billowing above the trees (near the home)," Murphy said. "Then we started to see the flames coming out of the roof."

Lee Blake, who was visiting his daughter at her home located next door to the burning building, said he packed some bags and moved their vehicles down the street after he saw the smoke and flames.

But soon after firefighters began battling the flames, neighbors began to take initiative to assist the family.

Neighbors started asking what the family needed and how to collect items.

Murphy said she and others in the subdivision began "calling around" to see how they could help.

"This is a close community," Murphy said.

How you can help?

Those interested in assisting the family can drop off items such as toiletries, towels, bedding and clothing to the Sunset Ridge Clubhouse, located at 528 Harvest Moon Parkway.

Clothing: Girls size 14

Boys size 8



Copyright 2016 The Free Press, Buda, Texas. All Rights Reserved. This content, including derivations, may not be stored or distributed in any manner, disseminated, published, broadcast, rewritten or reproduced without express, written consent from SmallTownPapers, Inc.

Original Publication Date: May 11, 2016



More from The Free Press